Tuesday, November 9, 2010

THE HISTORY OF LOVE
Nicole Krauss


"To celebrate, my mother took us to a French movie with subtitles about two girls who run away from home. The theater was empty aside from three other people. One of them was the usher. Bird finished his Milk Duds during the opening credits, and tore up and down the aisles in a sugar high until he fell asleep in the front row."

"Crossing the street, I was hit head-on by a brutal loneliness. I felt dark and hollow. Abandoned, unnoticed, forgotten, I stood on the sidewalk, a nothing, a gatherer of dust. People hurried past me. And everyone who walked by was happier than I."

"It's strange what the mind can do when the heart is giving the directions."

"A HUNDRED THINGS CAN CHANGE YOUR LIFE; A LETTER IS ONE."

_______________

No comments: